Friday, February 20, 2009

Death of Soul Music

I believe that soul music is not the only thing that is dead. In the year 2009 there are not that many artist that put out music worth listening to. For my parent’s generation they cannot understand what my generation sees in the music that we listen to. R & B is some of the last music that has any type of substance to music made after the 90s. The Motown era had artist that all put out music with messages in them. It was music with substance worth listening to. If you ask someone who is a singer of her generation it would take them several minutes to name one. Though there are several it is not many and not many good ones. Artist such as Alicia Keys are one of the last few to actually have music with a message and talk about something other than the usual topic of women, money and power. Beyonce is one of the few artists left that has a positive message of being an independent women and being a role model but majority of the music she puts out I feel like lacks soul. Music has no soul, depth and meaning anymore. I think some of my favorite artist with soul who isn’t from the Motown is Jill Scott, Lauryn Hill and Alicia Keys. Most of the artist who are out are very watered down pop singers such as Rihanna, Keri Hilson, Usher and Chris Brown. I’m not at all trying to say that they are not entertaining but their music means less than the music that is from the Motown generation.
I appreciate being born in the household I was because even though music now is less than about a message and more about a beat and entertainment I know what real music is. Real music is Marvin Gaye, the Temptations, and Diana Ross.

No comments:

Post a Comment