Thursday, April 2, 2009

Slumdog Millionarie

I have not yet seen the film Slumdog Millionaire. I’ve only seen the commercials, read articles and heard people’s personal critique of the film. From the reviews I read it was a very excellent movie and was the must see and best movie of 2008. The premise I believe is a poor Indian young man who gets the opportunity to participate in the Indian version of, Who Wants to be a Millionaire. I’m not sure if he won the actual million dollars but the story essentially seems like a fairytale of an underprivileged young man given a chance to better himself. I would assume that he didn’t cheat but it seems like a young man in his situation wouldn’t be able to make it as far as he did in the competition. He wasn’t some wiz kid from a prestigious school in the United States and I think that is what made the movie so successful. Everyday people could relate to the main character. Race is a clear and concise key element to the portrayal of the story. In comparison to the Golden Girls scene when they sat down and discussed race with each other to the movie I however, am not sure what they have to do with in relation to each other. The game show element really added to the story because it was already a successful show on television that people could already identify with. How the relationship element tied into that story of a rise from the slums I am also not sure of but I realize that it doesn’t take much to attach a love story into films. I look forward to viewing the movie in some coming weeks but I believe now after listening to the podcast that I have some questions up front about the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment